Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste

It's time to make another batch of toothpaste and I thought I would share my recipe. There are so many different recipes and concoctions, it's hard to know where to start. I have tried a few different ones and have settle on this one for now....and I LOVE it! Every time I brush my teeth it feels like I just left the dentist after a cleaning. My two teenage daughters agree, which doesn't happen too often because they know everything.

It literally takes minutes to make.
Here is the recipe I have settled on after a few batches of trial and error:

2 Tbs. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 heaping tsp. xylitol
4 tsp. glycerin
12 drops peppermint essential oil
3 drops OnGuard essential oil blend
2 drops melaleuca essential oil



Using a glass bowl, add all your ingredients together and stir!
Don't use plastic or anything else porous. You will forever smell and taste the essential oils
in whatever else you put in that same plastic bowl. You've been warned! ;)
 



We store our glob finished product in empty baby food jars. Again, do not store in plastic.
There is the smell/taste issue like I mentioned before, but also the oils will 'eat away' at the plastic
and you will end up putting BPA from the plastic in your mouth everyday. My thought is that
that kinda defeats the whole point of making your own toothpaste, you know, to get away
from all the potentially unhealthy additives. Just my two cents!


I use doTERRA essential oils. They are the only brand that is CPTG (certified pure therapeutic grade)
so I know they are safe to ingest. Do not just grab any brand of essential oil off the shelf and
use it in your body. Do some research to make sure it is safe for you. I've done mine, and
I am hooked on doTERRA for my family.

We all have our own jar in our bathrooms. We did experiment with adding different kinds of oils to get different flavors, but found that the flavor of these three oils together are fairly dominating and that adding anything else just made it taste a little weird, and not at all like we were hoping. The taste might take a little getting used to, my husband isn't a huge fan, but my girls and I love it and the clean feeling we get every time we brush. Not only are we getting the health benefits from the essential oils, but it has been a great teeth whitener, too, with no added stuff that we can't pronounce. Give it a try!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We will have to give this a try!