Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Breakfast Skillet to Feed an Army

We are out of food. Nothing to eat, just ask my kids!
I had planned on going to the store as soon as I got up and ready, but to be honest I wasn't sure
what we were all going to eat for breakfast. I did find 4 eggs, 3 potatoes and some sausage that
I forgot I had in the back of the refrigerator drawer. Bingo....breakfast skillet here I come!

The beauty of this recipe is that it is so adaptable to whatever you have on hand.
I found two mushrooms, a half an onion, and three corn tortillas to go in today's batch.

First step is to chop up the sausage and get that cooking on the skillet. We add a bit of honey to
cook in with the sausage as well. My husband has always done this, so now of course I do, too.
It does add quite a bit of flavor.While that is doing it's thing, I threw the potatoes in my
microwave potato cooking bag thing and cooked them.



Dice/chop up the onion, mushrooms and corn tortillas. When the potatoes are done and not
too hot to handle, dice them up as well. I use red potatoes, less starch and lower on the glycemic scale. Leave the skins on, too. You want all those nummy vitamins and nutrients!

I also add salsa right in the mix. I like the flavor it adds when it is cooked in.
Not a ton, though, or it gets too soggy.




 Once everything is cooked and chopped, add it all together on the skillet and mix it up well.
I like to sprinkle a bit of cumin on the top. Cumin just makes everything that much better. 

Add your eggs and stir them in to coat everything. I only had for eggs, but I probably
would have used another one if I had it. The eggs make a good binder to kind of
hold everything together, and also soften the corn tortillas a bit.


 Spread it out a bit and just let it all blend together.
Once the eggs are all cooked through, you are good to go!



Serve with more salsa and enjoy!


Feel free to add anything you happen to have on hand. We have used green pepper, cheese, avocado and black olives in the past. That's the beauty of the recipe, you could have a different breakfast every time you make it! It is VERY filling and it makes A  TON! The leftovers, if you have any, make REALLY good breakfast burritos the next day. Just wrap a bit in a tortilla and warm it up in the microwave.

This recipe is very similar to my husband's signature breakfast that we have dubbed
Hash browns El Zorro. I will post that the next time he makes it, it's definitely a keeper!

No comments: