Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Long Distance Love Affair

I admit it! I'm in love. His name is Joe. Trader Joe, that is. Distance is the only thing keeping us apart. Now I am in a tough spot...do I continue this relationship or try to just forget and move on? This is a tough one.

It all started last Fall when I heard through the grapevine that Trader Joe's was coming to Salt Lake. 
I'd been reading on blogs all over the place about how cool this place was and how much everyone
 loved going there. Then...I had my chance. It all became a reality when they had their grand opening 
the end of November last year. The problem....distance. 45 minutes one way to be exact. Which might 
not seem like much to some, but to a mom of four who shares a car with her husband, 
driving an hour and a half to get groceries was a little hard to justify. Nope...ain't gonna happen.

So...here we are, eight months later, and I decide to take my kids downtown to hang out and play. 
I have to just stop and see just what all the hype was about, right?

I have to say, I was expecting a bigger store. I almost missed it. Once we got inside, though, my disappointment quickly vanished as I was met with rows of organic produce...cheaper than I could get non-organic at my local grocery store. One big smile comin' up! The first aisle we walked down sported the coconut oil I had been wanting to get for quite a while, and it was a couple dollars cheaper than I had paid before. Another smile. Right after that joyous find was the liquid stevia that has been on my want list for months, and for three dollars cheaper than I had seen locally. HUGE smile!

My haul.

Next find...deodorant. For the last year, I have been making my own deodorant after reading mounds of articles about the aluminum found in anti-perspirant and it's link to breast cancer. I can't even tell you how many different recipes I have been through, trying to find one that could successfully tackle the job of taking on my over-zealous sweat glands (I know...TMI). Thanks a lot for that, DAD! 

I did find one I loved and thought worked better than any store-bought kind I had used, only to find a couple of weeks later that I was allergic to the baking soda that was in the mix. I tried lowering the amount, still a no-go, and even tried substituting with arrowroot. A few of the natural solutions I tried worked great short term, but would eventually stop working. The last thing I have been using is a crystal. I had read different reviews, some good, some bad, and decided I didn't have anything to lose. I have to say, I haven't been overly impressed, and neither has anyone that has had to be within a couple feet of me! So, I decided I had to bite the bullet and fork over the two-weeks pay for a stick of deo at Good Earth.

Never fear, though, my new love Joe had his own label on a stick right next to Tom's...and for 
noticably cheaper. Today is my first day using it, we'll see how it goes. I'm sure my kids 
will let me know fairly quickly if it is not working.

After that, I picked up a loaf of bread and a few snacks for us to enjoy while perusing Salt Lake. I left happy and a little saddened at the same time. I was in love....but knew it would never work out. Too many miles sit between us. There is no way I could continue to visit Joe on a regular basis.

Now....if Joe decides to move to Utah County, then I've got a problem. 
I may just have to tell my husband he's got some competition!

No comments: