Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Homemade Chocolate Sauce



I planned on having brownies, ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert last night, so I took
it upon myself to try a recipe I found on Pinterest. I know, of all places to find a recipe, right?

I'm pretty sure that no matter what you do, chocolate sauce that tastes like it's supposed to, is not going
to be good for you. While this recipe does have a lot of sugar because it tastes like it's supposed to, what it DOESN'T have is all of the extra preservatives and whatever else in it that you can't pronounce.
For that reason, this one is a keeper for those random times we do have the coveted liquid deliciousness.
I hardly ever buy it because when I do, I can always count on catching my two boys
drinking it straight from the bottle out of the fridge. I'm SURE my girls have NEVER done such a thing!
At least they've never have been caught!  

If I tell them they can only use it for ice cream or chocolate milk, they do mind and do just that.
I guess it's my fault I never told them that there should be significantly more milk than chocolate sauce
when using it with milk. They are diligent in informing me that there is a layer of milk on top of
the two inches of chocolate sauce sitting in the bottom of the cup. Needless to say, chocolate sauce
does not hold a permanent spot on  my weekly shopping list.

So...back to last night. The original recipe can be found here, I doubled it and changed it just a tad.

This is what I used for my recipe which turned out great, and it was super easy!

2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups water
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

 pour everything into a heavy pan ...





 ... mix it all up really good. I scraped the sides a lot while mixing.
You want it to be real smooth, with no lumps.


Once it is all smooth, turn on the burner to medium/medium high. I kept stirring off and on so it wouldn't burn on the bottom. Once it starts boiling, turn it down and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until it is the consistency of syrup. After 7 minutes, mine was still kinda thin, but I called it good. Take it off the burner and let it cool to room temperature. Then, stick it in the fridge in a covered container. It should last for up to two weeks if your kids don't drink it all in a day or two. This recipe filled a quart jar about half way.


I didn't make mine until dinner time, so when we used it with dessert, I hadn't put in the fridge yet and it was still a little warm. Warm chocolate syrup with warm brownies and cold ice cream. ... mmmmmm.



Update, I had ice cream for breakfast this morning don't judge and the sauce was even better!
I thought it had a little bit of a dark chocolate taste to it the night before with our brownies, but after
sitting in the fridge overnight, it was quite a bit thicker and tasted just like Hershey's milk chocolate syrup! Not a bad way to start the day!




No comments: